There are so many options when it comes to counsellors that it can feel pretty overwhelming trying to decide who you should reach out too.
Here are some ideas you can look for when choosing between potential counsellors.
1) See if they specialize and/or have training in your specific area of struggle.
2) Are they trained and utilize therapy modalities you think would be useful for you? (If you don’t know, don’t hesitate to reach out and ask!)
3) Do they seem to have the right energy or “vibe” on their website and social media?
4) How do others talk about them. Have any friends or family members had a successful experience with that counsellor?
5) How do they make you feel when you get in touch with them? Do they make you feel calm and hopeful about getting started? Don't hesitate to reach out to a couple people to see who might be the best fit.
What do you look for when choosing between potential therapists? How do you decide who to reach out to?
Let us know in the comment section below!
By: Maria Drohan, MSW, RSW